True beauty. Oppa choice disappointment


I heard True Beauty is one of those dramas that a respected k-drama fan needs to see along with Inheritors/Heirs, Gangnam Beauty and Boys over flowers. I've already seen two from this list, Gangnam Beauty one on the waiting list but the last one .... sorry but that is not going to happen 🙈 With all respect to the producers and fans of the drama but I cannot stand Boys' haircuts and clothing styles. I would die from laugh while watching. What is also special about True Beauty and what I found out while collecting pictures, is that the drama is based on WebToon! I heard so much about this platform and it's second time I see its drama and I must admit that both Mystic Pop-Up Bar and True Beauty made a very good impression on me. They have a very nice storyline and they take up serious problems and show it in a refreshing way. 

What is True Beauty about?

Story takes place between highschoolers. Im Ju-Kyung since she was little had a complex about her appearance as her siblings are gorgeous and she is bullied at school for not keeping u the beauty standards. When she is moved to another school she decided to hide her bare face and do everything to not to accidentalty reveil it. There is only one person (apart from younger brother) at the school that knows her true face. When a famous school oppa comes back he feels in love with her as well. Im Ju-Kyung goes from no boyfriend, to 2 boys 😁

 

Drama started as very strong and I loved it since episode 2. I was obsessed with it to the point that I watched it in 5 days. The casting and acting is really great and it was a pleasure to watch True Beauty. There were so many moments when I cried and so many moments where I laughed my ass of. I noticed in many comments that last 2-3 episodes were not much likes as it seemed to be rushed but I didn’t notice it to be honest. It felt quite wholesome.

Why “oppa choice disappointment” in the title? 😏

Because I way more prefer Ju-Kyung with Seo-Joon than Soo-Ho. I mean, I understand why she chose him – she can be herself with him, he saw her without make up at first and still felt in love with her, he was the one that lifted her spirit (and she did something similar to him). But I liked her and her behavior more when Seo-Joon was around. There was an obvious chemistry between these two! So many sparkles! Also Hwang In-Yeop’s (Seo-Joon) acting was on way higher level than Cha Eun-Woo’s (Soo-Ho). Even though both were quite natural with their acting, In-Yeop seemed to be in his place while Eun-Woo was sometimes robotic. In the WebToon, Ju-Kyung chooses Soo-Ho so of course the producers couldn't change that …. what a pity 😕

Based on that I wasn’t satisfied with the ending as Seo-Joon didn’t get his happy ending. At this point I share the frustration of other k-drama fans. Producers waited with him being rejected to the last moment and we couldn’t see how is he doing. Maybe if that would happened earlier we could have see him recovering from a heartbreak and would save me from the same feeling.

 

Is True Beauty worth watching despite Oppa choice? Of course! 😁 It is an amazing drama that I will definately one day comeback to. There are many memorable scenes, catchy music, the cast that in majority has a great and deep development. It is definately fair to say that it was one of the cutes dramas I saw this year with a oryginal script that I purely enjoyed!

Moving on to the most difficult part of the review, i.e. scoring .... I give True Beauty 6 points out of 10. It was a very enjoyable series and made for bingewatching. But unfortunately it wasn't as good as Mystic Bar, Ethernal King or epic Crash Landing 😍

Comments

Popular Posts