Flower Crew: Joseon Marriage Agency


After seeing the brilliant Under the Queen's Umbrella, I was skeptical about Flower Crew: Joseon Marriage Agency. I was afraid that seeing one show after another held at the same time and setting (the king's palace in Joseon time) would be a flop. The drama has been popping up on both Netflix and Viki for a long long time that I had to finally see it! It totally surprised me in a very positive way and my fear turned out to be unnecessary. Even compared to the magnificent Queen's Umbrella, Flower Crew was a delight to watch. The light drama with storytwists gets a strong 6/10 from me.

Story recap:
When you are growing up as a son of blacksmith, would you ever dream of being the king? Probably but what are the chances that is would actually happen πŸ˜… Lee Soo had enough luck to make it happen! At the age of 23 he was "kidnapped" and installed as a king when his father and older brother died in mysterious circumstances. But the kidnapers couldn't chose worst day to take him away .... it all happened on the day of his wedding! 😠 Lee Soo can't get used to life in the palace and feels that no one is honest with him except for the guardsman. If only he had a wife to help with his problems.... Famous Flower Crew risks their lifes and agrees to change king's love into a noblewoman and make them marry. 

 

While the show was fun, there was one thing that annoyed me from start to finish - since the title is FLOWER CREW, it should say more about a matchmaker team than about a king or a high treason πŸ™ˆ The producers clearly wanted to combine 2 stories into one and in my opinion it was unnecessary πŸ˜‘ Although both stories were interesting, they could easily be made into 2 separate series and would attract more viewers than Flower Crew itself. How interesting could a series fully focused on bonding couples be? Show what it looked like back then. Omitting the story of the king-smith would make the series something new and fresh in the k-drama market. This combination of stories kept me at 4/10 for a long time, only the last 5-6 episodes increased it because finally there was more talk about the members of Flower Crew!

When it comes to the characters and actors I will start with the titled Flowe Crew. This was my third drama with Kim Min Jae (here Ma Hoon) and the second where he plays a leading role (Lee Se Joo from Heirs & Park Joon Young from Do you like Brahms?). I have to admit that he is a really good actor and his voice is aaaaaaamazing 😍 I could listen to him days and nights. He is also diversed in acting and each of his characters are very different people πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘

Do Joon (Byun Woo Suk) and Go Young Soo (Park Ji Hoon) were the other two from Flower Crew, and for a significant part of the series they were redundant to me. Pure airtime fillers - two pretty boys, one focused on pretty girls and other on pretty clothes who brought nearly nothing to the show. BUT! That changed around episode 10, where more and more scenes from their earlier lives were shown. They started to gradually gain my sympathy, and in the end I actually liked them 😁

Another character with whom I had a problematic relationship is Lee Soo (Seo Ji Hoon), later King Kim Soo. As at the beginning I admired his devotion and love towards Gae Ddong later on it was hyper annoying. Maybe he wasn't taught to be the king but he was obstinate like one. Okey, I understand that his life has changed dramatically but when he knew that palace wouldn't be the best place for Gae Ddong, he shouldn't have turned the palace upside down. It only brought death to many people. Even if she was the only person from his past life he felt comfortable and at home with, he should have thought more about her feelings πŸ˜•

Gae Ddong (Gong Seung Yeon) on the other hand, was a very fun character from the beginning and I liked this tomboy from the first moment. Her story was confusing and interesting. She was loving and strong which reminded me of the queen character from Queen's Umbrella.... Oh my.... this drama will stay in my mind for ages πŸ˜…πŸ’–

 

All in all, it was an enjoyable drama and a great way to pass time. Flower Crew: Joseon Marriage Agency worked their magic! Handsome cast, good storyline, lovely costumes and convincing characters development. For a historical drama, this is a fabulous romantic comedy! Thanks to the Crew arranged marriages are not so scary anymore πŸ˜†

It is 100% a drama worth seeing even if its title partly deviates from it's reality πŸ˜…πŸ™‰πŸ™ˆ No less than a few episodes actually present and explain the work of matchmakers, so there is something adequate to the title and I am happy with it. The acting was on a more than good level and there are a lot of famous actors from other series like Park Ji Hoon from At a Distance, Spring is Green (I plan to watch it when the spring comes to hereπŸ’š), Park So Han from The Penthouse or Choi Jin-hyuk from The Last Empress.

Comments

Popular Posts