(Epic) Memories of Alhambra


Even at the time of turning on this series, I was not sure if I would like it. I must admit that this is one of those dramas that I chose because of the actors, not the content - Hyun Bin was incredible in Crash Landing on You and Park Shin-Hye was great in The Heirs. My heart was sure that it will be good to see but the brain wasn't convinced of the script at all. 

Heart won once again! The character-plot combo was fantastic and no one should ever skip this drama 💥😍😁👍 This totally unpredictable script makes you constantly think what will happen next and the acting will just make you drown in to the story....

.... a Spanish based story of Yoo Jin Woo (CEO of an investment company that produces games) and Jung Hee Joo (former classical guitarist who runs old hostel). They meet when Jin Woo visits Granada in search for the mysterious inventor that have created spectacular augmented-reality video game. He stays at Hee Joo's hostel and she totally doesn't fancy the pretentious and weird Jin Woo. Although the more he gets involved in strange and dangerous situations, the more she wants to get to know him and find out why he's interested in her run-down hostel.


This is kdrama not a typical drama. The sweet butterfly love story is replaced with action, suspence and creazy plot twists that makes your brain twist. But it is you Hyun Bin and Park Shin-Hye we are talking about .... from episode +/- 6 you start to sense the mutual feelings leads have for each other. They make it so natural that when I think about it now I have goosebumbs. As a spectator, I could read everything in their eyes, every fraction of the romantic feeling that developed between them.

The romance development was very calm and balanced. There were no scenes like "and suddenly I felt that I love him and will do everything for" 😐😒 We could see when Hee Joo gradually falls for Jin Woo - his kindness towards others, care even for ex-wifes, need for companion when is scared, strength when he wants to protect important ones and the sacrifice he goes through to find her brother. All this little moments have built her love to him. On the other side he falls for her for similar characteristics combined with incredible beauty, guitar and inteligence. He is impressed how she managed to take care of her family for so many years after her parents died and how later she did the same when he needed her the most. At the moment when everyone was questioning his sanity - she was there. And that was the moment he would do everything for her 💕

From the leads Jin Woo was the primary one and he did his job excelently. I already adored Hyun Bin before but this role confirmed my belief that he is a fantastic actor. He played Jin Woo is such a depth that you could feel his pain while fighting, his anger while arguing and bliss while looking at Jin Woo by just looking into his eyes 😍😵 


In toto I give the drama 9/10 without any regrets. I don't know what drama would have to have and what would have to happen there that I would give it a 10/10 but 9 is as good as being a perfect show. Memories of Alhambra was already a full pack. Ideal balance of shy romance, unpredictable plot and deep characters. This unpredictable and stressful plot of the series made me a nerve for a few evenings but it was worth it! This type of drama is rare, so you have to enjoy them while they are 😆😁


**** SPOILER ALLERT ****               **** ENDING EXPOSED ****

One thing I didn't like was the ending! After everything the couple has gone through with Jin Woo in particular ..... he is now stuck in the game?! Seriously?! I fully disaprove this ending. I get that he died, that Emma killed him so now part of the game as NPC .... but he's not with Hee Joo 😭😭 He is alone and she is alone. This is nowhere close to happy ending. When I was researching for possibility of the second season as they finishes with open ending, I found out that many liked it because it wasn't a cliche finale with lovey-dovey life & wedding etc. I agree with that it was nice that they didn't ruin the drama with grand wedding but they did it otherwise.... for me at least. What I expected was them just being together, getting to know each other and going on dates or at lease being in the same universe 😤

He says he'll find a way to get out of this game. Cool, but how?
What gave me hope is one review from MyDramaList that says: Jin Woo is still alive but somehow stuck in the game. He deliberately lets others to know that he is there by helping new game users. Now the Jung siblings know that Jin Woo is alive and hidden, it is only a matter of time for him to be saved just like how he saved Se Joo the year earlier. So, technically, he can get his happy ending soon.

I fully believe in such a development of this ending and disagree to other. Even though it's boring, I want a happy ending for them 😁


Note: It's been a year since I watched Memories of Alhambra and this night I was suddenly dreaming about Granada and Hyun Bin fighting with unknown soldiers 😅 I think that this is a good enough confirmation that this is a reeeeealy well executed k-drama.

Comments

Popular Posts