Abyss. Underrated drama.


Being on a break in the evening shift at work, I was digging the Internet in search of new series with actors whom I saw only once, but they interested me enough to follow their performances. One of such actresses is Han So Hee 😍 from 100 Days My Prince and although her role was secondary there, she caught my eye at once. She still does not play the main role in Abyss but the character she plays has a big impact on the story. Following her steps, I discovered 2 new actors (Ahn Hyo Seop & Park Bo Young) 😁 The leads are generally famous actors but I haven't seen them anywhere yet. I heard this year's Doom at Your Service with Bo Young and In Guk is a great show but after seeing Shopaholic Louis .... I'm not interested in any other Seo In Guk series 😑 I do not fully understand what others see in him, he is irritating and so far, I do not intend to see him on my TV screen.

But going back to the Abyss .... It's all about a man and a woman who tragically die and are given second chance in life thanks to magical soul-reviving marble. Cha Min is the one that was gifted the marble abyss by suddenly appearing aliens (?) by his dead body. He was the highly intelligent heir to Korea’s top cosmetics company, very smart, humble and kind-hearted. He had it all brain, fiance and wealth but was he doesn't have is the look. The mysterious marble brought him back to life in a completly different body - dangerously handsome man just as beautiful as his soul is. This luck in body change was not the case of Go Se Yeon. Succesful and ravishingly beautiful female prosecutor ended up as an average woman. Her spirit was nor pretty nor ugly. These two happens to be good friends from highschool times and together try to find out who is the reason of their deaths.


Abyss is full of diverse supporting characters out of which my favorite are Detective Park Dong Chul (Lee Si Eon) and Cha Min's fiancée, Jang Hee Jin (Han So Hee). Whenever I see Lee Si Eon in the series, I know that he will be this funny and good character supporting the main couple 😊 Although his role is practically always the same, he is always watched. He's good at it, and it comes naturally to him. Dong Chul is a dectective who wants to catch a serial killer and tries to regain his old love. He is a warm character that you can always count on, so I can't say a bad word about him 😇

This is not the case with Hee Jin who keeps going from being positive to ruining everything. However, what was behind her decisions was more than mere family problems 😬 As for me, the multidimensionality of her characters and the ability to present it in a convincing way confirms So Hee's well-developed acting skills. I'm still waiting for the series where she will be the main character because she deserves it 😍


As for the negative characters ... they were very well created and acted 😱👍 Until the end I did not believe that prosecutor Seo Ji Wook (Kwon Soo Hyun) is who everyone is looking for. Producers and the actors did a prominent job in creating the villans. Although the situations that made the monsters were not presented in detail, it was enough to get the greatest aversion and anger towards them. I'm sorry Hee Jin had to be connected to them but I am happy that she was able to oppose them and choose positive future for herself. The series sufficiently showed that the power of Abyss can be helpful but also dangerous depending on who has it. I cannot imagine what would happen if Oh Young Cheol (Lee Sung Jae) would be resurected in young body full of vitality. World was lucky that he ended up in the old one 🙊

It's been a long time since I hated fictional characters so much 😅 Creating a positive character is easy, but creating a negative one that you hate passionately is really something 😎 I do not hide that I would like to see if any of these actors will be able to create a real positive character or be labeled as negative characters like Mads Mikkelsen. I recently heard that Lee Min Ho will play a negative character for the first time, so here comes a historic shift in the world of kdrama!


It was my first time watching a drama with An Hyo Seop and Park Bo Young and I am done for them 💙💚💛💜 I love them totally and without a doubt. Their pure romance scenes in-between of searching for the murderer was relaxing and adorable. Their acting (hers more than his but still well executes) delivered emotions in a really good way. Handsome but clumsy Cha Min and tough and fierce Se Youn happened to be a great combo. Many wrote in the coments that Hyo Seop  ruined the serie...  with his creation of Cha Min but I cannot agree with that. He might be a rookie actor but his role was in the point. His goofyness suited well rawness of his girlfriend ❤

Another element of the drama that received a big portion of hatery was the ending. I am the happy ending fan so cannot be mad for what I got 😆😇 This was the ending they needed. Pure and sweet, that calms down all crazyness from before. But if you are not a fan of such endings, as I hate open ones for example, I believe you might not be happy with this finale. I personally fell in love with Chilling Adventures of Sabrina but the ending ruined whole show for me. It sounds banal, but as the ending is the last thing we see, it is the essence of the series and reflects entirety on the show's performance. The begining might be bad but serie can still develop well and we will forgive it. But if the ending is stupid or not fitting the drama .... yeah .... Houston we have a problem 😬😫


As for the end of the review, I leave you with a few short sentences and a picture of the Abyss team. Drama hooked me enormously and it kept me awaken for some longer nights 😇😅 In overall, I give it a full 6,5/10. As for me, this is a very underrated series worth spending a few minutes on. 16 episodes fly so fast you don't even know when the time is up 😳 I understand and do not understand why the series is not widely liked in the kdrama society. At first I was afraid to start watching it, but the chance I gave, was not wasted. There might be plot holes but it is still surely worth watching 💖🙌

Comments

Popular Posts