Legend of The Blue Sea


Occult figures have always fascinated me and I liked watching movies and series about them as well as reading endless series of books. Add to that some ancient tales, curses and prophecies and you've ensnared me for weeks 😍 While witches and other magic-using characters are my favorite characters (yes, I'm a Harry Potter fan, how can I not be a millennial), mermaids are probably second only to vampires. Fairies and elves are high up somewhere too, but other creatures along with werewolves are quite low on my olcultic list. 

Mermaids are extremely interesting characters and probably legends about them can be found in the stories of most countries of the world. It was interesting that I could find also a loose korean alternative of "Little Mermaind" 😅 

I came across "The Legend Of The Blue Sea" while looking for productions with my wonderful Lee Min Ho 💙 The female lead (Jun Ji Hyun) didn't speak to me in the trailers, but in the series she suited her character very well. She played literal fish out of the water - everything was out of the context, was everywhere and had too much energy. In some moments I liked her more than the male lead 🙈🙊🙉


Sometime in the XVI century in Joseon, young governor Kim Dam Ryung (Lee Min Ho) has been appointed in his position. During his journey he stays for a night at the in run my Mr Yang. During that evening the owner shows Dam Ryung freshly captured mermaind named Shim Chung (Jun Ji Hyun). He is astinished by her and doesn't agree with keeping her in a captivity. Later that night decides to let Shim Chung go into the ocean.

In the modern-day Seoul Kim Dam Ryung is called Heo Joon Jae and is a con-man. He run away from his home years ago and decided to have this kind of life. One day he mets Shim Chung, now Seo Hwa, who wears absurdly expensive jade bracelet. Joon Jae at first is interested in her due to the bracelet only but with time she becomes more than that.

When a dangerous killer named Ma Dae Yeong is sent to by Joon Jae’s stepmother, his life starts to be way more complicated. Seo Hwa who decided to stay with him has to or adapt to this strange new environment or let the boy go.


This is my third drama with Min Ho and I'm smitten with it 👌 He's a fantastic actor but it wasn't his best performance. He was much better in Heirs and The King. As for the main actress, she's GREAT. Ji Hyun is a new face for me and I think I will look for another drama to see her because I like her acting 😊

As for the drama itself, it has a really unique script. The series is fantastic to watch, broken down into two historical periods. More of these please! This is one of the most interesting propositions about mermaids I have ever seen or read 👍 Although the script was brilliant and so was the cast, the lack of chemistry between the leads was massive. If it wasn't for the skills of the actors and the efficient editing of the film material, my assessment would be more severe aka lower. I am giving it 7/10! (edit: it's begining of 2022 and in retrospect, I think I should have rated this series 6.5/10)

The drama was very pleasant to watch, it was smooth, there were no moments where I would think about droping it 😇 There are so many funny moments here that it's impossible to get bored! I don't want to reveal too much information because there's a lot going on in Legend Of The Blue Sea, therefore I'm cutting my review here.

I recommend seeing the drama, its positivity stimulates and puts you on your feet. It allows you to better start a new day 😁 Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts