Korean Odyssey. Second season please!


It happens realy rarely that series that are liked by hundreds will also fit your preferences. So before I started to watch Korean Odyssey I was sceptical but with high expectations due to dozens of reviews I have read 😅 Till the moment of pressing PLAY I wasn't convinced that I should start watching this, I was constantly thinking "what if I will disappointed?" "what if it;s bad and I will force myself as always to finish it anyway?" .... Fortunately, the opposite happened! Korean Odyssey is an outstanding drama and I am pleased to join I-recommend-seeing-it team 👍❤

That is the plot here about?

Son Oh Gong (Lee Seung Gi) and Jin Seon Mi (Oh Yeon Seo) met when she was a child, through the devil's tricky act, freed him from a long-term punishment. Although the event was outstanding, she does not remember it well. Oh-gong as a quirky monkey king (or Great Sage Equal to Heaven), erased some of her memory in order to not to have to return a good deed. However, Seon Mi is not a normal girl, she can see souls and spirits since she was a child 👻 Fate works to their relationship and they are the chosen ones to protect the world from immense evil. When Oh-gong and Seon Mi meet again, a huge conflict arises between them because of their supernaturality. 25 years ago he made a promise to protect Jin Seon-mi and it's a salvation from her multiple oppressions. It also allows them to open their hearts to the other person for the first time in their lives.


We have here all sorts of supernatural characters - the devil/bull demon king), ghosts, evil spirits, pig demon, dog demon, zombie, deities, winter general, summer fairy, angel and magical peddler. They all play nearlity equally role in the drama as the main couple because they lead them to where the great evil comes from and how they can fight it 💪 At the same time causing them problems and out-of-the-box solutions 😆

For the first time I see positive zombie character in a korean drama and I adored Richie. It is an interesting character because the girl does not remember who she is, what happened to her and what to do with her disintegrating and foul-smelling body. Despite this, he is an extremely amusing character, full of good heart and not wanting to harm anyone 💚 When she becomes possessed by an evil spirit named Asanyeo, we see completly different look and behavior of hers. Her desire to seduce Oh Gong is a humorous part of the show for me because he only sees decaying zombies in her 💀😂


A character similar to the devil Woo, Ma-wang, is not actually a bad character. Like Lucifer from the show of the same name (the only devil I love😈😇), he follows and benefits from people's desires. Of course, he creates some deals along the way and uses others, but that's a minor matter 😁 What is important is that he tries, in his peculiar way, to help the leads in defeating the common opponent that threatens every existence. The more I got to know his story, the more compassion and understanding I had for him. He is one of the more fascinating characters in this drama along with his helper, Ma Ji-young, who is as important to him as a family member.

Another interesting character, or actually two, is the siblings of Winter General and Summer Fairy 👫 These two share one body who changes the soul when the sun goes up or down. Siblings play side characters throughout the series, but their importance increases as the story progresses. Was it fun to see a kinda queer character (?) in the Korean drama as they are known to be puritans 🙊

Ok let's now put the supporting characters aside and focus on the main couple 💕


As I mentioned at the beginning of this review, I have seen both actors in other productions that I liked very much. Here they were thrown into the fantasy world and I was afraid that they would not cope with it, but their characters were so brilliantly received that I am constantly looking for another season. I found this opinion in many places and I fully agree with it - it was one of the best drama cast i've seen!

 Lee Seung Gi did a great job playing the role of the Great Monkey Sage. His character has an amazing vibe, his gradual change over the course of the series is not hard imposed on the character and comes gradually and practically to the end, you could not be sure if he would act as we think. Oh Gong is an unexpectedly complicated character that is never completely positive or completely negative. Maybe his acting skills are not top-notch but the infectious and radiant smile combined with the stunning charisma 😍 of the actor and character forces you to forgive him everything.

In acting matter Oh Yeon Seo outperforms Lee Seung Gi and her character is unrepeated 👌👍 Seon Mi had a difficult childhood and was oscratized throughout most of her early life. Now, as an adult, she takes the advantage over her skills and unpleasant gift. All emotions and what she experienced before were written on her face. I always have a great respect for actors who are able to become such media for emotions. 


This drama consists of good components (intriguing plot, well written script, great cast, lovely music) and turned out to be a great drama. Some days ago I found an intriguing sentance in a review on MyDramaList - last few episodes had too many fillers. At the beginning I didn't agree with it at all, thought it was just a nitpicking but the more thought I had about it the more true it came out to be. It wasn't as bad as the reviewer was saying but indeed there was a bit too many prolonged scenes and retrospections. Many says that ending was "good" or "not bad" but I cannot say it. I honestly hate open endings. For me there is only black and white option - happy or sad ending. My brain doesn't accept vague possiblity to imagina that somewhere in the future they will find the way to be together. Nope, I don't like it. This means that the series cannot be in my top 20 😐😕 Nonetheless, I recommend watching the series because there is plenty to watch.

Comments

Popular Posts