Alchemy of Souls. Too good to be true....


I'm not yet done with the serie (5 episodes left) but I already know that this will be my almost or top 10 drama. I love the leads - they are just extraordinary, the script is fantastic, costumes & interiors are totally beautiful and the secondaty caracters wholesome and great. There is only one negative comment I can give - WHY THE SERIE HAS ONLY 20 EPISODES!? I know that there will be something like a second season but still.... I'm not sure if those extra 10 episoded will saturate my hunger for Lee Jae Wook (a.k.a. Jang Uk) and Jung So Min (a.k.a. Mu Deok) 💙💙

Who are Mu Deok & Jang Uk?

He is the son of a very strong mage from a famous family serving the king. She is a strong soul of a warrior who has entered the body of an ordinary blind girl. They both grew up without parents. Mu Deok's parents died, Jang Uk's mother died shortly after giving birth and his father disowned him. Neither of them had a simple life, regardless of the amount of money, it is full of internal and external struggles. But their story is not simple at all, it was impossible to imagine a more twisted story. He is the son of the king's soul, which entered the body of Jung Uk's mother's husband, and the soul that entered the body of the blind man is none other than Naksu - the legendary shadow assassine.

The original background descrioption goes as follows: In a fictional country of Daeho, there are mages calpable of manipulating the environment around them. Jung Uk is one who has been forbidden by his father to learn spells. He has been seeking a master who is willing to teach him but none are willing to disobey his father's wishes. Naksu is a powerful female assassin. Due to a spell called the alchemy of souls she switches bodies in an attempt to escape harm. Fate brings Naksu and Jung Uk together. 

The further you go into the story the more insane and complicated it gets 😆😍😎💥


The Alchemy Of Souls starts with a bang (and doesn't let it go). Naksu's skills are exposed in a breath taking manner and the same goes with to magic and power of the mages. At first the story builds up around Jung Uk and as he gets to know Naksu/Mu Deok, we also understand her actions more and more 💞

The leads - their chemistry, playfulness, quirk and growin love are heart melting. The entire cast couldn't be better. Each character introduces a new perspective on the story and completely destroys what we have already arranged in our heads. There are constant emotional roller-coasters and mind breaking moments. There are also plenty of amazing side characters:

  • Maidservant Kim who basicaly is a mother to Jung Uk, brings a lot of love to the story. Together with Park Jin, they bring great rom-com (picture bellow😍)

  • Master Lee gives completly new point of view on the backgroud of the leads and I love him for his weirdness and unusualness.

  • Crown prince Go Won at first seems to be just next full of himself prince but he turns out to be one of most interesting character. As said before - I haven't finished the drama and hope that he will go in good direction 

  • Seo Yul and Park Dang Gu are both powerful heirs, mages and friends of Jung Uk. Together with Jin Cho Yeon they give a lot of sweet and innocent scenes to the show 😇

  • Even though Jin Mu was a negative character and an enemy of the main couple, his personality was very interesting and some of his moves were understandable. As being the illegitimate son of Jin's family, he was not treated at its best. The saying goes, one creates it's own enemies 😕

Moving on to script, cinematography and music.

Hong Mi Ran and Hong Jung Eun once again created a very interesting script. Just like the Korean Odyssey, we have here lots of unexpected twists, cliff hangers mixed with complicated love story. The shows that are in my top10 always have one thing in common - a unique story .... what could be more unique than moving souls from one body to another and the world of nature magic? Hard to beat that 😁😅 

You can easily notice that this is the latest movie as the special efects are on really high level. Have you seen the sword fighting with magic transfered into the swords?! It looks so realistic and incredible that sometimes it felt like in any moment one magic stream will accidentaly fall out of the TV. Fantasy drama pinned with historical setting can blow you away 😍

Music.... one word -> mesmerising. The way the songs fit the scenes is amazing. But I have to admit that this doesn't just apply to this show. Recently, almost every Korean series I watch has incredibly well-chosen music and many of them have already downloaded their favorite songs ^^ I think in 2020 I watched Cinderella and 4 knights, and until today, as soon as I hear BTOB - For You and Younha - I Believe, I can see exactly the scenes where it was used 😆

 

I'm happy with the direction the Alchemy of Souls went and even more happy with the fact that it is not over yet! There second season (or second part... however you want to call it) will arrive at the end of this read to complete the story. It is one of few dramas that got me from the first episode and hold me at the couch every Sunday morning 💙💙 

I'm totally impatient for second part and definately will be watching it with high expectations. Problem is that the drama is so good that addidionall 10 episodes won't be enough for me 😭😭


For the first time I was writing the review while watching the drama. I just couldn't wait to tell you how amazed I am with Alchemy of Souls. On the other hand I did everything not to finish this amazing drama 😅 Unfortunatelly it eventually happened. Now I'm counting down to additional 10 episodes coming to Netflix in 2 months 😍

Ending was totally shocking and made me cry so much..... All I heard and saw up to now as small spoilers is that Mu Deok will be played by the same actress as Naksu! I totally have no idea how did they do it but I'm happy to find out in December. All I'm afrait is that when Seo Yul will see her, his agrument with Junk Uk is more than sure 😰😱 The aproaching episodes seems to be way more darker than current ones. Hopefully it will come out well.

Comments

Popular Posts