June 07, 2024

My Boss


A few days ago I wrote about how I dreamed that the bad streak of Chinese dramas would finally end. That I dream of seeing a drama like Here We Meet Again. I have fulfilled the first part of my dream, but unfortunately it is not time for the second one yet. I'm still on a quest to find something great 😼

Cheng Yao dreams of becoming a top lawyer. One day she is recruited by a leading legal firm and moves into a new house near the office. Full of hope and exitement she enters the apartment just to get to know her new roommate. Qian Heng is as much suprised to see her as she is to see him.

Having a roommate is not bad. But it's bad when he turns out to be one's direct superior at the office and proves to be incredibly hard to please. Cheng Yao does everything to learn, understand and do everything fast and as he wants just to be able to work with amazing lawyers in this company. Time allows her to make friends and build a good portfolio of cases.


Even though I liked the drama from the very first moment, I had a constant fear that at one moment it will consist of only cliches 😵 It all started with 3 such stereotypes - poor girl/rich boy; forced to live together and "accidentally" work together. Luckly later it has become better. This is the kind of drama that takes some getting used to. I have the impression that the Chinese love cold CEOs turning into sweethearts and goofy boyfriends. I think only 5-6 out of 30 Chinese dramas I saw didn't have this theme 😆 Of course, we also have a secondary couple here. The Chinese drama wouldn't be possible without an extra pair of friends or family in the background 😅

The main couple was very fun to watch. They are both handsome and play quite well. More often I see more handsome male actors than female actresses but here I think Zhang Ruo Nan (portraying Cheng Yao) is prettier than ML ^^ In my Cdrama based beauty contest the first place without a doubt is taken by Gina Jin from  Why Women Love. She's followed by Qin Lan from Rational Life & Qian Wu from Here We Meet AgainRuo Nan is about my top20. 

Both leads were quite fine in acting skills and had a decent chemistry. The drama is calm and stretched in time. The romance develops imperceptibly and sweetly. I often have the impression that the characters are in their early 20s, whenever I hear how old they are in the content, I am shocked. I have a big problem getting used to their behavior towards the opposite sex, which is at the level of a European 18-20 year old. A 30-year-old who has never gone to bed with anyone... who has never been kissed?! OMG... 🙈🙉🙊 For the future of China, I hope it's only in dramas 😂😅

 

My Boss had 36 episodes but I didn't feel like it was continuous. Sure, I would have torn some holes in a few episodes and deleted a few scenes (I wouldn't be myself if I didn't write it), but generally there was enough going on in the series to make it easy to see every 90% of an episode 😅

When it comes to the divide between romance and work, My Boss is a drama about working as a lawyer. The romance is really secondary here. A large part of the episodes talks about clients, trials, solutions and rights. There was already a lot about it in She and Her Perfect Husband, but here it's probably twice as much. It made the drama more interesting and enjoyable to watch. Unfortunately, when CDrama focuses too much on romance, the production falls short. Romance is not their thing 😂😂 They better work 😂😂

The secondary pair played a very nice role, but I've seen better pairs. In acting skills, the actress was superior to the actor. The most interesting character in the entire series was... the villain. The worst lawyer anyone could ever meet, lying, disregarding the client and falsifying. Anything to win the trial and get the money 😤 I was sooo waiting for him to be defeated. To me smashed by the goodies... 😈

To sum up, My Boss is a light drama with good content and decent actors. The acting is at a pleasant level and there is no need to rewind the episodes. I give it a very solid 6.5 points out of 10 😊 I was considering 7 points, but then I would have to compare this series with The Goblin and Love Is For Suckers, which would be unfair as these shows had really good actors and the number of stereotypes was zero. I will with a good heart recommend to watch My Boss but there are more attractive dramas mentioned in this post 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © My Asian Dramas , Blogger